A Medical Guide for Achieving and
Maintaining a Healthy Voice
Yolanda D. Heman-Ackah
Robert T. Sataloff
Mary J. Hawkshaw
Available in print and downloadable e-book formats:
- e-Book: download full book, pdf format.
- Print: soft-cover, color, 7 x 10 inches.
- Full color, 166 pages, with 64 illustrations.
Published May 2013. ISBN 978-0-9758862-4-3.
A book written for professional voice users that explains the mechanics of voice production,
the care of the voice, and common medical conditions that can affect voice users.
ALL professional voice users - whether singers and actors, teachers, lawyers, sports coaches,
television hosts, salesmen, or business executives - depend on their voices in their profession.
Often, the circumstances of voice use are not ideal, and difficulties can develop. This book is
an informational source for professional voice users on how to care for and maintain the longevity
of their voice. The authors are doctors and nurses whose medical practice specializes in the care
of voice professionals. This is not a book on vocal pedagogy or training, but rather a guide to
common medical problems that can affect the voice and to common vocal difficulties that can
develop from ineffective voice use.
To view a selection of Sample Pages, click here.
- Introduction and Authors ... i-x
- Anatomy: Where is the Voice Produced? ... 1
- How is the Voice Produced? The Mechanics of Voice Production ... 15
- How Do I Maintain Longevity of My Voice? ... 27
- How Do I Find a Doctor and Voice Care Team? ... 37
- When Should I See a Voice Doctor? ... 51
- What Can I Expect During a Visit to the Voice Doctor? ... 59
- What Are the Possible Causes of My Voice Problem? ... 77
- What is Reflux and How Does it Contribute to Voice Problems? ... 103
- What Does it Mean to Have a "Weak" Vocal Fold? ... 119
- What are Non-Surgical Options for Treating Voice Problems? ... 129
- When is Voice Surgery Indicated? ... 135
- Index ... 151
Science & Medicine, Inc.
P.O. Box 313, Narberth, PA 19072
e-mail [email protected]
Copyright © 2002-2013, Science & Medicine, Inc.
Pliner Solutions, Inc.